Sunday, September 17, 2006

sunday sun

yesterday, i missed a beautiful last-chance-for-summer day. all thanks to the cable company and their inability to nail down an actual time for their service calls.

so today. i was determined to not miss a drop of sunshine. i had loose destinations. as always, i allowed the city to pull my direction at will.

turning onto orchard, i fell upon the green market. filled with plants and fresh vegetables. and moseyed down to the blocks celebrating international pickle day. i wandered the street. peering under tents. children making crafts in the likeness of, none other than, the pickle. demonstrations of canning vegetables. t-shirts with various cartoons of pickles, advertisements for pickles, pictures of pickles. tables filled with samples of everything pickled. different flavors. different textures. nibbling along the way. all the while thinking this was a bad day to forget that bottle of water that all new yorkers tend to have handy. and just as suddenly as the pickle fest started. it stopped. only a couple of blocks long, this was a rather brief encounter. short on quantity. but man was it packed with quality.

as i made an impromptu turn off of orchard, i walked west to mulberry. it was about time that i took in the feast of san gennaro in little italy. a festival that closes down blocks and blocks of mulberry street for about 2 weeks. i have heard of this festival for years. mostly from friends living on mulberry bemoaning the disruption caused by the festival and the crowds of people that populate it. i don't know what i was expecting. but essentially i saw this festival as a possible step up from the standard nyc street fair. and - without the rickety rides and pig races - only a step away from a state fair. i didn't have to go far to figure out it was time for me to move on.

and i got to thinking . . . on a day like today, i usually tend to make washington square park my ultimate destination. but i had thus far inadvertently spent this day exploring the part of the city that is now considered my new hood. so i decided.

it was time.

i made my way up to houston. and headed east. instead of west. and introduced myself to . . . tompkins square. my new park. washington square will always be home. my true north. and west. so many contemplative hours. days even. meditating to visions of dogs playing. so many memories. so comforting. it's been a warm blanket for many cold days. but as i made deliberate moves through tompkins. . . it felt good. this could certainly be my south. and east.

like most things in new york, it was not better or worse. it's just as outstanding. in its own unique way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

i am so glad that i found your blog again! it has been a while since i have read it. i love the way you write! i can sort of visualize while i am reading! i've never wanted to visit NY (except to see you!) but you definitly make it sound intriguing... maybe i've changed my mind! ;) though i am sure it will still be a few years before i get up there.

5:06 PM  
Blogger charters said...

You are stronger than me. My feet would have carried me directly to WSP. Every time I come back, no matter what my intentions are, I find myself in WSP and later, down the block at Cafe Reggio. It's as if I have some imaginary Metrocard that has to be swiped at those 2 stops before I can get to any other location in the city.

9:15 PM  
Blogger cb said...

thanks to all of you for your complimentary comments. very appreciated.

washington square does indeed have a pull. undeniable.
and cafe reggio... well it will always be one of my all time favorites. their sidewalk tables. good coffee. delicious and affordable and decadent breakfasts...
wait. what was i saying?

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Counter