Friday, May 27, 2005

perfect imperfect

i managed to have a perfect imperfect morning.

it's beautiful today. yet somehow i managed to be completely stressed out by like 8am.

so i took a walk before work. and ended up, of course, at washington square park. the water is just now being turned on to fill the fountain for the coming summer season so the steps remain dry.

i climbed in to take a seat, joining a few morning dwellers. i popped in the tell-tale white earbuds of my ipod. tilted my head toward the sun. and closed my eyes.

this was one of those times my ipod had a brain and played just what i needed, just when i needed it. "new slang" by the shins, followed by "bled white" by elliott smith, and the trilogy concluded with the incomparable "under pressure" by david bowie and queen.

during the last song, as i realized i should get going, i lifted my head and opened my eyes.

there i was.

the only one left sitting in the fountain at washington square park. that happens like hardly ever. sure there were still people around. people walking around me heading to and fro, here and there.

but i was the only one sitting in this little tub in the middle of the park.

and it felt like somehow this city that can be so overwhelming and demanding had given me three songs of breathing room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Counter