Sunday, May 08, 2005

southern hospitality

my parents got in town today. not for mother's day. that was pure coincidence. as we sat in washington square park, mom and pop watched all the sites go by. big dogs. small dogs. wacky clothes. lack of clothes. people mumbling to themselves.

one man in particular walked by. sort of paused. seemed to have a conversation with himself. or, rather, an argument. he seemed distraught. he walked away. suddenly he reappeared. he walked up to my mother and said, "excuse me, miss? i mean, ma'am? i just want to wish you a happy mother's day. i hope you have many more. it's a beautiful day. the sun is shining. enjoy it."

my mother kindly agreed and thanked him - as southern ladies are taught to do.

as he walked away, she turned to my father and me and remarked, "and they say new yorkers aren't nice."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Counter