Wednesday, September 28, 2005

conversation with a stranger

she purposefully walks into the familiar bodega. walks to the back. and draws a solitary beer from its pack. she approaches the counter. and as brevin rings the purchase, he knowingly slides it into a paper bag - the neck of the bottle barely peeking from the rim. and, with his gentle smile, he nods slightly to the bottle opener lingering by the magazine rack.

with her brown bag in toe, she pulls her way up the 6 flights of her building. opens the door that has illegally remained ajar for at least a year. she steps onto the roof.

and she breathes.

perched on the edge of the rooftop, there are no barriers to protect her from the streets below. the rooftop across the way. the neighbors nestled in their own homes.

and the cityscape is . . . magnificent. brilliant.

as if a child has been playing with blocks and haphazhardly plopped them here and there. gathering various shapes to create dynamic and contrasting building tops to scrape the sky. stringing christmas lights for color.

"how am i going to do this?" she wonders aloud.

"do what?" she asks in return.

"honestly . . . all of it . . . " there's so much to her question she's not sure how to answer.

she crosses her legs, sitting indian style. pensively looks across the skyline and continues by answering ambiguously, " . . . be here. or not be here. . . . i want to be in it and out of it at the same time . . . the only other time i've felt that way was with an abusive boyfriend . . ."

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

My own feelings of leaving New York were much the same. As with all great life experiences, the gains are great, but the losses are too. Will it ever just be calm? Would you want it if it was?

I must admit, the feeling doesn't change much and though I know I had to leave NYC, I still feel like part of me is missing something by not being there. The potential. The passion. The possibilities. I've thought of returning many times, but remind myself that one cannot be attached to a person or a place based on what it (or s/he) could be. One must love what is.

A year in a foreign place and with all new daring struggles has made me realize that I don't seek calm (and I somehow doubt that you do either). I fear neither the challenge nor the journey. Once you know that about yourself, that whispering voice saying "coward" goes away and you ask yourself this: am I giving more than I get? As non-poetic as it is, the emotional and spiritual balance sheet is what should make you stay or leave with anyone or thing. Give all that you can - invest, love, be present - and then see if your world can match it. You deserve a place, (and people) that can...and does.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Counter