Monday, August 01, 2005

a beautiful day in the neighborhood

i know i keep remarking on my neighborhood. but it's remarkable. not just for new york. i think it's remarkable period. no! exclamation point!

today, i left my building, turned the corner and there's a leather store i've never gone into before. i mean, i don't generally have reason to go into a leather store. but a bag displayed in the window caught my eye. so, what the hell, i stepped inside. and i was immediately greeted by the owner.

he grabbed one of the bags off of the shelf. it's on sale! still too rich for my blood. sigh. yet as the man and i talked, it quickly occurred to him, "do you live in the neighborhood?" i confirmed that yes i in fact live right around the corner. suddenly his face brightened and he proclaimed "well then! i'll take off ten more dollars!" eventually he took off twenty dollars. even though i told him i wouldn't be buying it that evening. he explained this to his other salesman and told me that whenever i decided to come in and buy this bag i can have it for not just the sale price, but $20 off the sale price.

see?

that is neighborly.

so i laughed and thanked him for his kindness. and began to leave. suddenly he stopped me and said "wait. since you're a neighbor, let me give you a gift! what are your initials?" at this point, i was utterly baffled. but i obliged and shared my four initials with him. within minutes he presented me with a custom-made keychain. monogrammed! not something i would typically go looking for but a lovely gesture nonetheless.

see?

that is neighborly.

3 Comments:

Blogger moira said...

Hi,

Every once in a while I try my luck with the "Next Blog" button on Blogger, hoping to run across something that really strikes me. This usually ends in miserable failure, but tonight I ran across Bear Bones and found myself digging through your archives for more.

It's been a while since you've updated. I'd be the last person to insist, "Post! Post!" There are times when a person has much higher priorities, or just needs to move on. I do want to say, though, that I'll be delighted if and when you take up the blog again.

-Moira
Blue Abstractions

12:45 AM  
Blogger moira said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:49 AM  
Blogger moira said...

Ack! I swear when I posted that the latest post showing was July 31.

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Counter